So, today wrapped up TCF 332. I decided to make a list of the top 5 things I learned in TCF 332 that I never want to forget. Of course, I learned a LOT more things than 5, but I wanted to choose the ones that I considered the most applicable.
- Sound bites should mean something or convey some type of emotion that the reporter cannot convey.
- Learn how to be a one man band. Learn how to write, report, shoot, and edit in order to be marketable in the competitive broadcast industry.
- Always have a list of story ideas with you. Because of this, I’ve started a list that I plan on keeping for a while. I am constantly adding things to this list. Hopefully it will eventually pay off!!
- Be willing to start at the bottom, and I mean BOTTOM, of the totem pole. Your first job might not be a glorious one, but keep pushing harder and harder, and you might get lucky.
- Constantly try to network. This industry has a lot to do with who you know. Remember: who you know can get you the job; what you know can keep you the job.
It has been a fun semester, and I look forward to applying the above lessons and more to my future classses and career. cb